Minority Law Day Workshop
When: Saturday, January 10, 2015
Time: 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
Where: Western New England University - School of Law
PLEASE JOIN ADMISSIONS
- Western New England University School of Law
- Boston University School of Law
- New England Law | Boston
- University of Connecticut School of Law
THE WORKSHOP will address minority and diversity issues related to law school and the application process.The focus of the Workshop is to help minority and diversity students address their current and future law school applications. LGBT and non-traditional students will also benefit from this program. We hope that this program will be a step toward bridging the law school gap that currently exists for minority and diversity students in the New England region.
Please see below for further detail on topics to be covered.
ANYONE INTERESTED in law school is encouraged to participate.This program will differ from traditional open houses and information sessions in that the information discussed will focus on the application process and issues that students face early in their collegiate years (or, in some cases, many years later). Students will find the information useful regardless of where they decide to apply or where they are in the application process.
RESERVATIONS required. Open and free to the public. Lunch will be provided.
Workshop topics will include:
- At the conclusion of the workshop, representative from KAPLAN will be present to provide information on the LSAT and to administer a practice LSAT.
- Current law students discuss their paths to law school and the law school experience
What is LSAC - The Admissions Process
- Registering for the LSAT
- Creating a CAS account with LSAC
- How to submit applications
- What are law schools looking for?
Transcripts, Résumé, Internships, and Extracurricular Activities
- What is the Committee looking for?
- What should your résumé include?
- What types of experiences are beneficial?
Personal Statements, Diversity Statements and Addenda
- Discussion of the importance of personal statements/addendums and what should be addressed in a personal statement
- Examples of personal statements
- Supplemental essays and addenda
- How to disclose previous misconduct
Letters of Recommendation
- Examples of letters of recommendation and suggestions on how to obtain a positive recommendation
Financing a Legal Education
- Discussion of the financial aid process, scholarship resources, and student loan debt
Question and Answer Session
- Current admissions professionals and law students will be available for questions